"Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids"

I have two medallions for the Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids and also another for the SEID Juvenile Section. Everyone in the photograph is presumably a past or present official and the fact that there are two young lads there, may be that they are officials of a junior section. Unfortunately, as I just collect Sheffield memorabilia, I have no information on the Druids. I imagine that they were like the Ancient Order of Forresters (who were on Trippett Lane) self-helping the needy.

Thanks for your input, jbu1. I also have a few Sheffield-related medallions but nothing on the druids, who as you say were evidently a self-help group, perhaps providing small loans at a fair rate of interest etc. On my next trip to Sheffield I'll call at the Local Studies library to see what they have there, and maybe take a walk to see if I can find the building with its distinctive lintels.

• 9 months later...

I have an endowment with the Independent Druids Friendly Society. They were based in Wilkinson Street. I was quite excited at being a druid, but sadly they changed their name to Sheffield Mutual about five years ago, and moved to Barnsley. Their endowment returns are among the best in the country despite their tiny size!

There is also a Druids Sheffield Friendly Society still operating, based in Wath on Deane.

• 4 weeks later...

we used to pay our ground rent to the friendly druid society but they sold the lease to some development company....

it was only about a fiver a year, eventually they sold our lease to a development company, we bought the lease from them later on.....

john:)

• 1 year later...

Was browsing for some histroy about this Friendly society when I came across this forum

I am sitting here facing a framed 'merit' cetificate for Sir Joseph Dodd P.P. for the Saltley Lodge No 311 of the Sheffield Equalised Independent Druids Friendly Society - a much admired certificate as it bears masonic symbols. It is dated Dec 23rd 1907 and signed by J Dodd President, W Comley Vice President and S W Anderton Secretary

Not sure if this information is any use at all but nice connection:)

Hi TRANT - welcome to the Forum, and to the thread!. Last year someone sent me a scan of a certificate that must be similar to yours. I thought I had kept the JPEG but I can't find it on my hard drive.

I did obtain (thanks to eBay) a letter of 1910 sent by the Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids, complete with envelope - here is a scan, and a larger view of the Coat of Arms. There's a sad story behind the letter. A Mr John Singleton of Whitehaven had evidently claimed a payment in respect of a relative who had been killed in the Whitehaven pit disaster of 11 May 1910. Unfortunately the terms of the policy were such that a payment would only have been made if he had lived for a few weeks longer.

• 4 months later...
Was browsing for some histroy about this Friendly society when I came across this forum

I am sitting here facing a framed 'merit' cetificate for Sir Joseph Dodd P.P. for the Saltley Lodge No 311 of the Sheffield Equalised Independent Druids Friendly Society - a much admired certificate as it bears masonic symbols. It is dated Dec 23rd 1907 and signed by J Dodd President, W Comley Vice President and S W Anderton Secretary

Not sure if this information is any use at all but nice connection:)

i have a picture of the sheffield Equalised indepent druids society too and it sounds exactly the same as the one you have but the lodge number is ancholme lodge no 251 i was wondering if you could post me a picture of yours and ill post one of mine to check if they are the same

• 4 months later...

I too have a 'Certificate of Merit' - undated -

from The Prince of Wales Lodge No 59.

F White president - F B Orton vice president.

It has my dad's name on it but I think his dad had the same name.

Need to do some checking.

My dad was born and spent his whole life in Doncaster (apart from WW II).