"Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids"

• 10 months later...

hi i have a solid silver medal presented to (bro b nighungale by poplar lodge (1905

SHEFFIELD EQUALIZED INDEPENDENT DRUIDS)

equality truth and fidelity on the front and two hands a triangle and what looks like a compass.

Hello Grower.....

Sounds interesting ! The imagery on your medal I can't immediately connect to the Druids of my Grandfather's time.......homever it sounds vaguely Masonic to me.... Perhaps what looks like a compass are God's dividers.....measuring out the world.....?!

Certainly the Druids and Masons are two very different groups....... and I don't pretend to have much knowledge of either.

Earlier in this thread Hilsboro and I discussed possible (non-official) links between the institutions, largely, from my point of view, in relation to the large amount of both Druidic and Masonic regalia/medals etc I found in my Grandfather's estate after his death......Certainly triangles and compasses/dividers are Masonic symbols.....

Perhaps it waas just the graphic style of the period that led to similarities in the design of these items.......

Perhaps someone with more knowledge might help here.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I came across all these posts this evening because I have been doing some research into my family history. I was completely staggered to see a posting from 'dfss' about his grandfather Horace Stubbs because minutes earlier I was reading a letter to my grandmother and father (on the death of my grandfather), which was signed 'Horace'. The letter was from him on headed paper The Order of Druids Friendly Society, 19 Northumberland road, Sheffield dated May 13th 1960. My grandfather was called Edward Allan and was a member of the Sheffield Equalised District, he lived in Rotherham and worked with Horace. I can remember many occasions going to Horace's house when I was a child. Small world really.

I will ask for some info. I am just researching the family tree and there are some Stubbs not to far back. I remember I used to go on holiday with the druid friendly society when I was young, around the 1975 ish. My uncle had quite a lot to do with them. I do remember some sort of insurance/ savings aspect connected to it, in fact I still have a policy running but the name has changed over now, I shall see what my parents can tell me.

• 4 months later...

Hello HaddockPie and Kath196....

So sorry not to have responded to your posts earlier but I have been away and didn't get the usual notifications that postings had been made.

Very interesting to hear this, of course I was often at Horace's house. Unfortunately I don't remember your grandfather but I suppose that isn't too surprising given my age at the time !

The Druids outings were generally excellent (especially for children....entire days of constant treats and indulgence....did you go to the Royal Clarence Hotel Exeter one ?

dfss

• 1 month later...

Stumbled across this thread whilst doing a bit of research on Druids.

My great great grandfather Thomas Robinson had the Don Inn on Penistone Road and there were apparently Druid meetings at the pub as he was involved (in fact the local lodge was called Robinson's Pride!)

There has been mention here of a division in the Druids and a kind member of the Sheffield History site sent me a newspaper cutting from 1891 which explains the dispute..

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/13678-robinson-family-infirmary-road-area-from-1881/

If you are not a member of that website you may not be able to open the article details but the gist of it is that the Sheffield lodge was financially successful (£30,000 in savings!) and the other lodges not doing so well wanted to get their hands on their funds, so the Sheffield lodge seceeded from the Order and went on to be helpful to their own local community.

Edited by Sandroulla