1987 Nightclubs

Ousetunes

It's a fact that I visited more nightclubs under the age of 18 than I did after I'd hit that age. Suppose that applies to a lot of us. However, it's surprising to take a look through an old diary - 1987 in this case - and see the names of the clubs I visited, none of which I believe exist in the same guise today:-

Who remembers Maximillions on Charter Row? (A pint cost £1.17 in March 1987);

Al E Cats on Commercial Street. Man that place was a dump. The front bar was always full of drunk cabbies;

Isabellas - I liked this place and went here more than all the other places put together;

The Roxy - Remember the carpet that used to stick to your shoes?

Cairo Jax - A very Radio Hallam type club. One I could take or leave;

Sinatra's - quite classy. I think I only went a couple of times. Was it over 21s only? That would explain it;

Josephines - top drawer but a bit too much Luther Vandross. However, it was totty heaven. Do you remember Jaws on the door. He was easily Sheffield's most respected doorman!

Incidentally, a cab from town to Fulwood village cost £2.60 in February 1987!!

I remember cairos and they used to put on quite a show in those days. Everyone got on the floor for Gap Band - oops upside your head, and there were pro lady dancers on all the podiums And I remember a show which featued lots of girls doing an elaborate dance routine in the main room wearing only sexy underwear.!

In those days you had to dress up to get in.

I mainly went to rebels however and there are some web pages about those times with loads of pictures from rebels the limit and roxy rock night.. at http://www.rockreunited.co.uk

:D

Originally posted by muddycoffee

In those days you had to dress up to get in.

That line makes you sound well on the way to pensionable age when I bet you're in your thirties like me ;)

Well in 1987 there were only two clubs I noticed and one I liked. The Limit and Rebels. Being a punk I went to The Limit :)

Archived