Bus Lanes or is that Bus Pains?

But this is not why they are there! Bus lanes are there to annoy you, quite literally, as they are designed so that buses are never held up by traffic and can sail on by you as you sit fuming in your car for another half an hour on Savile Street or wherever.

Without them, the buses would be in the jam with you. Instead the bus passengers sail on by and the bus keeps to a reliable time - it's intended to make you think "Hmm, maybe I would get home more quickly on the bus? Maybe I'll try that next time?" And it does work if there are enough of the bus lanes, too, it is quicker. ;)

If only that were true but usually at the end of the lane they have to queue to get back in line with the rest of the traffic so not totally efficient. The bus lanes in town are a total nightmare for both cars and buses as far as I can see everyone trying to weave in and out of different lanes its just madness. It must be causing a massive amount of pollution.

mmm dunno we need a math type. if it takes 1 hour to do 100 miles at 100 mph. does it cause less pollution to do the same journey in two hours at 50 mph?

In the occasional long boring days of driving cabs, I think about these type of stuffs when I'm bored of 'double glazing ads' on the radio.:hihi:

My cab does about 50 mpg at 50 mph(on flat), so 100 miles is 2 gallons (£9 for the non metric peeps)

At 100 mph (well if it could do it:suspect:) I get about 25mpg. So 100 miles is 4 gallons (£18 ).

But..... you asked which causes more pollution... :hihi: omg, I have a headache already....:help:.... if I use twice the fuel, but over half the period of time, which is better?

ADDED, I've just looked at my post, then the thread title, and realised I couldn't have gone more off topic. :hihi::hihi:

I would be interested to know how much road tax is collected from buses compared to cars and if this warrants the thousands of miles of restricted roads they have the run of.

Also, what will happen when electric cars or hydrogen fuel cell cars are finally available? Will the bus lanes be removed? Probably not.

I remember when the bus lanes were introduced all those years ago. If I remember rightly I think the reason they were introduced was to keep the journeys quicker, therefore encouraging people to go by bus and reduce pollution.

It hasn't quite happened has it? What's happened is that the bus lanes now cause car drivers journeys to take longer. Therefore, increase pollution!

People would sooner go by car so why do they still force them on us? They are a white elephant.

The trouble is that there are a certain sort who won't admit when tree hugging policies have failed. The bus lanes are increasing pollution. Come on guys dig them up!!

You'll never get a tree-hugging liberal to admit that they're wrong about anything, they'll just revert to type and start name-calling, branding you as a knuckle-dragging neanderthal, or some other "witty" liberal riposte.

Bus lanes must be the biggest cause of traffic congestion in our inner cities but try getting the PS/fascists on the councils to admit that.

Why not modify your car by tripling its length, putting additional seats in and mounting a board with a number and destination on the front? Surely then you'll be able to use the bus lanes anytime you like?

You forgot to mention, change to a more polluting fuel too.

I remember when the bus lanes were introduced all those years ago. If I remember rightly I think the reason they were introduced was to keep the jouneys quicker, therefore encouraging people to go by bus and reduce pollution.

It hasn't quite hapened has it? What's happened is that the bus lanes now cause car drivers journeys to take longer. Therefore, increase pollution!

People would soner go by car so why do they still force them on us? They are a white elephant.

The trouble is that there are a certain sort who won't admit when tree hugging policies have failed. The bus lanes are increasing pollution. Come on guys dig them up!!

On a similar type point in relation to driving. I was listening to five live the other day and some intellectual research type stated that the hands free kits do not reduce accidents for users as opposed to people who talk on a mobile while driving.

His research showed that it is not the actual physical use which causes accidents but the actual lack of concentration caused by having the conversation.

So it looks like a ban on talking is on the way:hihi:

Why don't those in the cars, driving on the same roads as the bus lanes, causing all this pollution, take the bus instead? Problem solved. You're saying that we should tackle the problem of pollution by removing something that can help reduce it, in favour of the vehicles that are actually at fault. If that's not flawed logic I don't know what is!

Archived