Who do you think is the best milkman in sheffield past or present?

PopT

Have you got the best milkman in Sheffield or did you have in the past?

Our milkman is ace, his name is Ian Moseley from Stannington.

He works hard, never misses a day and does a great job, if there were medals for milkman then he would be the top of my list.

Love to here from other forummers comments on milkmen.

Happy Days!

When I was a nipper we had a milkman deliver milk to our house. His name was Tom Skelton (although I think his real name was Cyril, but everyone knew him as Tom).

He came to our house for years and very often had a cup of tea and ate his sandwiches if it was his lunchtime. He was really a friend of the family. Then when I got married I bought a house jut around the corner from where I used to live and Tom delivered our milk for years as well until his retirement. All my kids and all the kids in the street knew Tom and he would always find time to stop and chat to them. I sometimes wondered what time he would finish for the day as he used to talk to everyone. When he eventually retired he used to drink in the same Club as myself and we would often talk about the old times. Sadly, he passed away some years ago but he is fondly remembered around the area he used to work.

Does anybody remember Smiler who used to deliver milk around the Hillsborough area.

I think he worked for the Coop.

He always had a permanant smile on his rosy cheeked face, to see that cheerful face was a real tonic on a cold winters morning.

Happy Days!

When I was a nipper we had a milkman deliver milk to our house. His name was Tom Skelton (although I think his real name was Cyril, but everyone knew him as Tom).

He came to our house for years and very often had a cup of tea and ate his sandwiches if it was his lunchtime. He was really a friend of the family. Then when I got married I bought a house jut around the corner from where I used to live and Tom delivered our milk for years as well until his retirement. All my kids and all the kids in the street knew Tom and he would always find time to stop and chat to them. I sometimes wondered what time he would finish for the day as he used to talk to everyone. When he eventually retired he used to drink in the same Club as myself and we would often talk about the old times. Sadly, he passed away some years ago but he is fondly remembered around the area he used to work.

if you ae talking about tommy skelton what used to deliver round bolsover road area i used to be is relieve driver i knew him when was on the horse and cart

just after the war

yours

a woollen

Milkmen are usually fine people - they have to be, to get up before dawn and work so hard in all weathers. We have an excellent, cheerful-and-friendly milkman here in Ashby, Lincs., and our milkman for the 20 years we lived in Hillsborough and Wadsley was Nigel. I never knew his second name as we were always on first-name terms, but he's still delivering the milk in Wadsley, often helped by his remi-retired dad. Nigel lives at Oughtibridge, and he is a really good bloke - nobody could think otherwise. He always had a cheerful word with my 80+ year old mum when he called for payment on Fridays, and so I always knew how his kids were doing in school etc. But I got to know a few dairy-farming and milk-delivering families in the Rivelin/Bradfield/Oughtibridge areas - the Hawkes, Revitts, Hagues, Helliwells etc. and they are all fine folk.

I used to be the best the best milkman,or milklad,in Sheffield years ago.I used to deliver round meersbrook & heeley,every saturday with express dairy for a few years until leaving school in the early 80's.

My wages were £3,a packet of fags & a couple of bottles of gold top milk or fresh orange juice,which i drank on my way round.I used to really enjoy it.

Does anyone remember Tony or Barbara being their milkman/woman?

I just found out that the Hillsborough milkman was nicknamed 'Happy' not Smiler.

I believe he used to help run the Hillsborough Boy's club.

Does anyone remember him?

Happy Days!

Archived