Chancet Wood- BEFORE the estate was built?

aelfheah

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows someone (locals living nearby?) who might have photos of how the large expanse of the old allottments and wild undergrowth looked before the estate was built in 1981/2 (?)

I was a kid playing in that fantastic area in the 70's and was thinking of it the other day.

I'd be grateful if anyone knows where I could find any, maybe taken from the houses nearby or even amidst the many little animal & bike tracks.

Cheers

i sent most of my childhood in those woods and remember everything from the letters stuck to the tree's informing of the building to the houses being built. I don't have any pictures of the time as we didn't have a camera and i suppose not may people did back then. Try the devoloper of them .... Ackroyd & Abbot springs to mind for some reason but not sure if was them or not.

Wait a minute, where's Chancet Wood?

Sheffield 8- Between Meadowhead (behind the little petrol station near Graves park) and towards Bocking Lane, stretching northwards(?) almost to the wooded hilltop above Abbey lane school...if this helps?

I used to live on greenhill avenue my house backed onto the chancet woods. I spent hours in the woods making dens and picking bluebells for my mum. I remember there was 2 allotments where 2 guys used to keep animals- ferrets,goats,chickens etc. Any body else remember the allotments?

I used to live on greenhill avenue my house backed onto the chancet woods. I spent hours in the woods making dens and picking bluebells for my mum. I remember there was 2 allotments where 2 guys used to keep animals- ferrets,goats,chickens etc. Any body else remember the allotments?

Hi Meg

By the time I was playing in them, they were abandoned by the allotment tenders and was thankfully overgrown with nettle-thronged rabbit runs, wild hedgerows and eerie 'tunnels' made from wilted trees that had grown into one another

• 5 weeks later...

Archived