Chancet Wood- BEFORE the estate was built?

aelfheah

• 2 weeks later...

I remember back in the 1940s and 50s there was a path at the lower end that led to Abbey Lane, we used it late on a Sunday night after visiting my Aunt and Uncle who lived in Humphrey Road and having missed the last bus from Holmesfield, we caught a tram although it was a bit dodgy in the dark.

• 3 weeks later...

my nan and grandad (Ted Moulds) used to have one the gardens in chancet wood,right up untill the compulsory purchace.

At one time they lived on the gardens and a dry stone wall built by grandad is still there. I do have somes photos but only of my mum and chickens etc.

I was there before the estate was built , i always thought it was a pity and sad . I used to play with Adrian Thackeray in the woods where the allotments had been. Do you remember a tramp called John who cared for all the animals and lived in an old shed?

I was there before the estate was built , i always thought it was a pity and sad . I used to play with Adrian Thackeray in the woods where the allotments had been. Do you remember a tramp called John who cared for all the animals and lived in an old shed?

Yeah I remember a scary 'woodland' character called John.

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, did he have blonde hair and a scar, always having a dog with him? Quite an intimidating youth to us pre-secondaries at that time...in the woods!

Archived