Birley, Vic Hallam houses.

Unstable

Not been on the site for yonks.. interested to see this thread.

Brought up on Newstead Way something like 1968 to 1982 (left when I was about 18). It was a great place back then, still see plenty of people from there around. Fondly remember those massive games of footy on the middle field, how you worked your way up the heirachy the older you got. Lots of names I remember from previous posts.. some were/are my mates.. Mark Kempton, Sean and Stevie Watson, Tony Kay, Andy Bingham, .. used to live opposite the Needhams (mentioned above) and was friends with their son Dave up to a point (just drifted apart as we got older I suppose)..

Its a sad thing and a good thing they're being knocked down really.. they used to look like Butlins when I was little with all the well kept grass and stuff.. ended up like Beirut for whatever reason.. shame.

Remember the old sweet shop.. was it called Farrellys or something?

The Butchers with the rabbits hanging in the window and bloodied sawdust on the floor.

The Co-Op.. the beer-off at the Frecheville (10p back on a pop bottle), free scraps from the chippy.. jumpers for goalposts (or 'no ball games' signs as someone mentioned haha) etc

Remember the meadow grass where the golf course is now, used to ripple in waves when it was windy.. Birley Woods and the tarzan swings.. daring each other to go up to school (Thornbridge) in the pitch black to confront the ghost of the cleaning lady who'd fallen in the boilers.. scrumping crab apples from the orchard where the Fairways is now..

Aaah happy days

Hi Ian

Great to hear from you. Yes I am still in Oz, Adelaide, loving life. Heard you and Paul had fallen out, last time we were back in Birley 2004. Are things still the same or have you made up? Haven't heard from your Paul in years. Thought he might have been over to see us. Will probably be back next year for our Lisa's wedding so it would be great to catch up with everybody.

Cheers, Nidge

Hi Hetty

Noticed your reply and mentioning Bill and Margaret Needham. Margaret used to work for my in-laws, John and Margaret Hemming, when they ran the Fairways pub in the 1980's. How is she and where is she living these days? Regards Nigel

Archived