Tracing my family history

You can tick/untick the boxes on your advance searches to force it to look for specific names.

The surname 'Close' might have changed over the generations. My lot have changed from Cleugh to Clews to Close and with the added complications of misspellings I have found this surname to be one of the most difficult to research.

One method is to use surname distribution maps to see how surnames with similar spellings change in frequency in an area as the spelling of the surname changes. In this way I could follow Cleugh relatives in Northumberland through Clough (misspelt) then Clews in Co Durham and Close in Yorkshire.

I was originally put off family history because I had a very common surname but experience has shown that it has been the easiest name to research.

Do you have a link to the best surname distribution maps to look at, please? Done a quick google and quite a few come up, so just wondered if you can recommend one in particular. Thanks

Oh, another thing ... I regret not creating a different family tree for each of the main names in my tree. You can do this on ancestry.co.uk, not sure about other sites tho. In fact, if I was starting again, I think I would start with my 8 great grandparents names and form a tree for each.

I was so excited about finding people, that I just kept adding all ancestors of my 4 grandparents onto the one tree... mistake! Your tree suddenly goes outwards and upwards beyond the screen, impossible to print, and you easily get distracted (nosey!!)

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 00:46 ----------

Try this site too

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Sheffield/

Familysearch.org can be very helpful (and it's a free site)

A couple of very useful sites.

From the first site www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng one can find a considerable no of other sites.

I have been doing my Dads side & found lots of American ancestors due to relatives going over on the Mayflower. Much to my brothers disgust as he doesn't like Americans

Ooh ... how interesting!!

PS I would be constantly reminding my brother about his American ancestors :) Suggest that he might like to accompany you over there to do more research lol

I don't think for one minute he would go to the good old USA. He would rather go to research our Norse ancestors I found.

Well done for getting back so far!! Bet you didn't find all of them on ancestry!

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 20:23 ----------

This is something I have wanted to do for ages, it is so time consuming

and that is one thing I don't have.

Might hand it over to Rivelin6 :roll:

Yes, I've got Rivelin6 in mind too!! With all the hours it takes, I reckon it could be cheaper in the long run to get an expert to do it. Only problem with doing that is that you don't get the thrill of finding a lost person, or get the true feel of how and where they lived.

I might just delegate my 'dead ends' to Rivelin6 ;)

Archived