Skoda Cars - Any Thoughts?

A taxi driver driver I knew had a Skoda 94L estate like a Fabia but was another name. He clocked up 375,000 miles and had 1 clutch and 1 starter motor in all of 5 years as a taxi.

He eventually got rid of it because of sagging door hinges. He bought an octavia and had that for 4 years before buying another.

The engine was a 1.3 litre petrol that was fitted to Polo's.

Having been an owner of 2 Fabia vRS's over the last 7 years i would reccomend a visit to www.briskoda.net

It's an online forum with a forum specific for the current Fabia and plenty of people to give you some advice on the Monte Carlo. I known a couple of guys on there myself who have a Monte Carlo and they both say they're good cars.

Cheers

Dave.

Sounds to me like you have bought a baddun, I would be very interested to have a look at the mileometer, 54,000 on a Skoda is nothing. Are you sure it wasnt clocked?

It was 12 years old, but had just under 54 000 miles on the clock and the engine was 1397cc.

The door locks continually jammed and the central locking eventually stopped working despite being fixed at great cost by the dealer. The locks wouldn't even open with the key.

The bonnet catch wouldn't always open in cold weather and if it did it often wouldn't close again.

The trim on the roof came loose and eventually detached completely.

The boot catch was temperamental.

The breaks failed several times.

I also felt it had a few design faults, like, you had to open the drivers door to get to the boot catch and the lever that operated the drivers seat (forward and backward) caught in my trousers several times causing a few awkward moments.

There were several other faults, but I'll write those off as wear and tear.

Oh yes, and it only had a tape deck in it that didn't have auto reverse. I thought that was a bit primitive for a 21st centuary car.

Think we are on our 5th Octavia, never had a problem with any of them. The latest Elegance is just a year old and I will be attending the launch of the Mk3 next weekend, will not be buying for at least another year though.

Sounds to me like you have bought a baddun, I would be very interested to have a look at the mileometer, 54,000 on a Skoda is nothing. Are you sure it wasnt clocked?

Fortunately it was gifted to me by my mother in law, although at times I did think I should've looked this gift horse in the mouth, she'd got it from a main dealer.

Archived