Ways to stop Rabbits from chewing wooden furniture

BobbyBunny

maybe you should keep them outside like normal rabbits.

besides if its not the wood it will be the wires, pipes, carpets and they even eat the wallpaper thats on your walls.

Why is it abnormal to keep a rabbit indoors? In my opinion (and in the opinion of a lot of vets) its abnormal to keep them outside. The dangers a rabbit faces when living outdoors are just not justifiable to but your rabbit through.

1 they poo everywhere

2 they eat everything which is bad for them and they could get hurt

3 they need to dig

they love to eat grass/ weeds and sunbath.

my rabbit lived out doors yes, in a very lage pen big enough for a small dog.

yes my garden had many holes in it but it neva needed cutting and my house was in one peice.

1 they poo everywhere

2 they eat everything which is bad for them and they could get hurt

3 they need to dig

they love to eat grass/ weeds and sunbath.

my rabbit lived out doors yes, in a very lage pen big enough for a small dog.

yes my garden had many holes in it but it neva needed cutting and my house was in one peice.

1. Rabbits can be house trained. My rabbit is house trained, and does his business in his litter tray.

2. There is such a thing as making your house safe for a rabbit.

3. I don't keep Bobby in the house all day. I take him outside, where he is supervised and plays for a couple of hours every day, then returns to the safety of our house.

A rabbit should never be left outdoors in a hutch/cage that is not strong enough to hold back predators, such as cats, dogs, foxes, and other animals which may try to eat your rabbit. Just the sight/sound of such a predator is enough to induce a heartattack and kill a rabbit. Rabbits are VERY timid creatures and are prey to other animals. You can't monitor your rabbit if it's outdoors all the time, so you won't see if its health declines. Rabbits are social creatures and need to be in contact with other animals. In the winter it is too cold for a rabbit to live outside. In the summer, it is generally too hot for a rabbit to live outside.

Rabbits shouldnt be shoved in a hutch in the back yard. Theyre just like cats and dogs, and need constant love and affection.

After one of our rabbits' hutch was ripped apart and he was killed I won't have another rabbit unless it is a house rabbit.

sillymoose, like BobbyBunny said, they can be house trained and young puppies chew, so it is abnormal for you to keep them inside where they could chew a wire?

If you're going to have a pet, put the time into it to make your house safe instead of making excuses like 'normal rabbits live outdoors'.

well my rabbit servived for ten years outdorrs and so do many otherones in my area, it quite liked dogs and cats. as for foxes my garden is secure. give them plenty of shade in the summer, puppies only chew when their bored or teething. but there are ways around that. some ppl keep rabbits in a shed or outhouse at night to keep them protected.

well my rabbit servived for ten years outdorrs and so do many otherones in my area, it quite liked dogs and cats. as for foxes my garden is secure. give them plenty of shade in the summer, puppies only chew when their bored or teething. but there are ways around that. some ppl keep rabbits in a shed or outhouse at night to keep them protected.

But why is that more normal than keeping one in the house? Dogs always used to be kept in kennels but now most people prefer to keep them in the house.

Foxes can get in to secure gardens, unless you've got a mesh lid over your garden, they can find their way in.

I refuse to keep another rabbit until I can keep it in the house.

Your garden is never secure from a determined fox, or even a loose ferret. Just because it likes domestic cats and dogs doesn't mean it likes strays that come up to its hutch at night and start growling and ripping at the wood to get at it. Putting a bunny in the shade in hot weather is not enough, there are risks of fly strike, heatstroke (which bunnies are easily overcome by) and all sorts of other things.

The only thing I can say is the same as Lotti - if you're going to get an animal, put research into it first and assure you can provide adequte care. Just like dogs and cats, rabbits can be trained to have good habits. Bobby is only five months old - an adolescent in rabbits years - and he's litter trained, responds to his name, and goes into his hutch (which is located in our bedroom) when I turn the light off and walk towards his hutch.

Just because rabbits have been bred for food and their fur doesn't mean things are staying that way. If I were you sillymoose, I'd visit this and find out the real facts about keeping a rabbit.

There are five unlucky rabbits for one lucky rabbit that survived ten years outside. I'm sorry if this thread has turned out to be a bit harsh, and to the mods I don't intend this to be offensive but I just have a passion for rabbits, and hate the way they are discriminated against by people who don't know better. No Offence sillymoose, but having a rabbit is no different to having a cat or a dog, and can be just as pleasurable and entertaining when the time and effort is put in.

Archived